Lipofilling (fat transfer) is now an established technique which uses the patients’ own fat as a permanent filler to add volume to soft tissues. In addition to adding volume, lipofilling reduces scarring and has also been observed to imported the quality and elasticity of the overlying skin.
Fat Transfer can be used on the face to revolumise areas such as the cheeks which have lost volume through ageing or severe weight loss. The technique can also be used to balance and enhance facial proportions and symmetry.
VOLUME ENHANCEMENT PROCEDURE
0.5 - 1 hrs
Nights in hospital
Risks - common
bruising, swelling, temporary numbness, temporary skin irregularity
Risks - uncommon
infection, excessive scarring, asymmetry, bleeding, permanent numbness
Pain and discomfort
Follow-up after surgery
1 week, 3 months
Time off work
Volume Enhancement using Fat Transfer
Each additional area
AUTOLOGOUS FAT INJECTION
Instructions on discharge
- The treated area will be swollen and bruised for 7-14 days depending on how large the treated area is.
- Cold compresses can be used for short periods of time for the first few days, this will help with bruising and swelling. Do not use ice directly on the skin as it can burn, wrap it in a clean cloth first.
- Do not press firmly or rub the affected area.
- Clean area very gently with a mild cleanser, if the lips have been treated, lubricate lips with Vaseline.
- Discharge with standard painkillers.
- The donor site (where the fat was taken from) can be washed gently and then pat dry.
- Appointment approximately 1 week after surgery when the dressing will be changedto a lighter dressing.
- Usually one or two dressings after this when the wound will still need to be kept dry.
- No restrictions but avoid strenuous activities for the first 2 weeks.
- Sleep with head slightly elevated on a few pillows for the first week and avoid bending head down.
- Moisturise scar after first 3 months.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS OR HAVE ANY QUERIES FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE WARD.